Tuesday, February 23, 2016

It's Easy to Start

 Hello!

I am starting this blog with the idea that I can pass on ways for the everyday person to become one step closer to being Eco-friendly. I never took any environmental study classes in college, and I'm definitely not an expert on this in any way, shape, or form. So why me? Perhaps for those very same reasons. I to explain to other similar "everyday" people how easy the steps can be without drastically changing your lifestyle, becoming a "hippie" or spending tons of money (to be clear, I totally have nothing against being a hippie :P) .

For a long time I supported ideas about saving the planet; well in theory I supported them. I tried to recycle glass and cans from time to time, but that was about the extent of putting theory into practice. I was always a little too lazy. I disbelieved that one person could really make that much of a difference. But then I had a realization: what if I just did it? Isn't that a risk worth taking? Even if one person is not going to save the world, it's still one less person creating unnecessary waste. What if I DO make a difference? Even if I will never know just how much of a difference. It's the "what if" thinking that combats the "it wont matter" thoughts. Because why not try to live a cleaner and less wasteful life? There are no downsides really. Sure some products (which I will mention in later posts) will cost money, but many save you money in the long run, and will definitely reduce waste (e.g. reusable bags, water bottle, etc).

So let's get started. No need to make huge changes in your life right away. Start small. Take a step back and look at your own personal lifestyle. Notice what types of things you buy, what you throw away, and what you recycle. The first and easiest step is to utilize the recycling program that your township probably already has set up. (Side note: I am sorry if you live in a place without a recycling program. If that is the case, then yes, you will have to make a larger change in your life if you decide to personally transport your recyclables to a recycling facility) Look up your township recycling rules. It should be clearly explained on the township website, but if not, find out online who you can call to ask about it. Even if you think you know what your township recycles, do it anyway. They might have changed things recently to include more items, or there might even be something on the list that you never realized was recyclable. 

Okay, so you have a list of all the items your township will recycle? Be sure to note if this is single-stream (meaning everything goes into one bin) or if you have to divide it up first. Print or write out the list of EVERYTHING that you can recycle and other rules they may have about it. You can tuck it away somewhere within easy reach for quick reference, or you can make it look all pretty and tape it right on your recycling container in the house.

Next step, actually doing it. Before you throw anything into the trash, stop and think if it's recyclable. If it is ANY type of plastic, stop to check all over the package to see if it has a number inside the recycle sign and compare to your list. Remember to rinse out anything that had food in it.

If your township does not recycle, or if it recycles very little and you would like to find out where to take your recycling, a quick google search of recycling facilities in the area should work. This website is also pretty great for searching where you can recycle something specific: http://search.earth911.com/

Okay, so this wasn't a super informative post. Most people understand the basics of recycling. But that's kind of my point. You're not doing anything ridiculously new. You just need to make sure you are caught up on your township recycling rules and remind yourself to double check items you might have previously thought of as trash. For example, I was surprised to learn that my yogurt cups, which I was tossing in the trash, are plastic #6 (and I am fortunate enough to live in an area that accepts all numbers 1-7)! I'm serious, try to find that little recycle number on everything plastic. And don't forget about paper and cardboard either - all the junk mail you probably throw out can be recycled.

Example of a sign I made for a party (I'm really bad at drawing the recycle symbol)

Future posts will touch on more small daily changes you can make, reusable products to use in place of disposable items, and Eco-friendly brands to support.

Cheers!


Image Source

No comments:

Post a Comment